Sunday, September 07, 2008

Go Argos!

Brandon, VP of SGA at UWF and Me after my Saturday morning session.
So get up, get, get get down, communication 411 is in yo town! Who remembers the late 90's Public Enemy "911 Is a Joke" song? I can't help but sing that song when I talk, think or write about our communication and leadership program, Communication 411. Not that our program is in any way related to the song. I have mad respect for the folks in blue... and black, and brown and white and all the colors of the many uniforms professionals associated to 911 happen to wear. I guess it's just the 3 similar numbers in the title that moves me to sing. I randomly break into song at the thought or sound of many simple titles or phrases. It's what I do. Anyway, lets talk about UWF!
I was thrilled when April, the President of the Student Government Association at UWF (my alma mater) asked me to speak at their upcoming leadership retreat. It was an honor to spend time with my fellow Argos talking about how they're going to help shape the university. They came up with quite the mac daddy list of goals.
Being at UWF had me feeling all sentimental and reflective. My experience as a student at UWF helped shape who I am today and I am so incredibly grateful for the many life lessons I faced throughout my collegiate career, some of them much easier than others and it's funny that the lessons I failed miserably at are also the ones I learned the most from. Wait a minute...are our parents really always right? I'm feeling an "if I knew then what I know now" speech coming on, but I'm not going to go there...not now anyway. What I will say is that, with everything that I am, I truly believe that students have the capacity to change their campuses and their communities for the better and it's an honor and a privilege to help facilitate that. I can't wait to hear about the many successes SGA is able to celebrate this year. Look out, UWF is moving on up my friends. Go Argos!
After an action packed session I was able to squeeze in some QT with my dear friends while I was in P'cola. Good ol' Saturday afternoon college football time, which for me basically means the TV's are on and of course I clap and cheer along. I've got spirit for days! But my real focus is hanging out, catching up and enjoying the great people, good times, cold beer and chicken wings. Good times indeed.
KP, Kelly and Chris.

Happy in Pensacola,

Kelly

No comments: