Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"SPEAK"

By Sabrina Sadler, Social Outreach Intern

1 in 4 college women surveyed are victims of rape or attempted rape.

As an active college student who was involved in bringing Sexual Assault Awareness to campus, I heard this statistic constantly and I shared it with my fellow collegians repeatedly. When I first heard 1 in 4 college women are victims of rape or attempted rape, it blew my mind. I thought WOW; I walked away with thinking 1 in 4 college women.

Through my journey of being an advocate and activist I have grown to look at this statistic quite differently and pose the question…

Do you ever think past the numbers?

Do you ever think of that 1 woman?

This clip from the movie “Speak” only represents one girl and her story.

Each woman has their own personal story. No two sexual assaults are alike.

Each survivor of rape or attempted rape deals differently.

I believe from the moment that she was violated her life is FOREVER changed.

Since I have been an activist to end sexual assault, I have had friends, sisters, and complete strangers share their story with me. I look at these women as remarkable human beings. I am amazed by them, for the statistics slowly disappear and instead become faces and stories. They are my force to keep bringing awareness.

I’ve heard the 1 in 4 statistic over and over again, knowing the severity of what it means. So then why am I still surprised when someone shares their story with me? Because at that moment the statistic is real, it is a woman and her story. And all I can think is that I am grateful that she chose to share her story and not hold it in.

In the movie “Speak”, it took the support of Melinda’s teacher and close friend, in order for her to recall her traumatic incident of being raped, and learn how to deal with the situation.

42% of college women who are raped tell no one about their assault.

My ending note:
You never know who may be watching you. You may be someone’s inspiration. Always keep an open mind. Never judge, for you never truly know what someone has been through in their life.

For more information on Sexual Assault, Statistics, Resources, visit uniteforchange.com

No comments: